Monday, March 16, 2020
- All locations of the Bellingham Public Library closed to the public beginning today, until further notice.
- Following workplace guidelines from health officials to provide limited library services. Most staff working remotely.
Friday, March 13, 2020
- Starting Monday, March 16, all locations of the Bellingham Public Library will be closed to the public until further notice.
- Children’s Early Learning Center at the Central Library closed.
Wednesday, March 11, 2020
- Per Whatcom County Health Department recommendation and City of Bellingham direction, we are cancelling all library programs and events that we estimate are regularly attended by 10 or more people. This is effective immediately, through April 30, 2020. This does not apply to use of meeting rooms reserved by the public.
- We are supporting social distancing in several ways, including furniture placement.
- We have suspended all library outreach visits to assisted care facilities, schools, and other locations.
Friday, March 6, 2020
- We are working closely with City leadership and health authorities, taking our cues from the Whatcom County Health Department.
- We operate high-use public facilities. Providing hand sanitizer stations and wipes and daily cleaning of high-touch surfaces are steps that are part of our typical services.
- In light of concerns about COVID-19, we are sanitizing high-touch surfaces and restocking supplies more regularly throughout the day.
- We have removed all fabric toys and materials from early learning spaces and programs, leaving only cleanable surfaces.
- We are adjusting or cancelling outreach visits to assisted care facilities.
- Patrons and staff are being reminded of illness prevention guidelines.
- Our staff are ready to help people find answers to their COVID-19 questions, referring to the information and resources listed above.
- As some patrons have asked, the library does not currently disinfect borrowed materials when they are checked in or as they are browsed or used in-house. Disinfecting these types of items and materials is currently not recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- We will continue to take precautions, monitor the circumstances, and follow the recommendations of health officials to make adjustments as needed.
For questions about Bellingham Public Library operations during this outbreak, please contact Library Administration. For health guidance, please consult the public health agency resources listed on our Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resource Page.