Checking Out and Returning Materials
- You may check out up to 75 items, with some restrictions noted in the table below. The Library reserves the right to limit the number of items checked out.
- Materials have a loan period of three or two weeks; see the table below.
- Materials may be returned to any Bellingham Public Library location, Campus Connection, Whatcom County Library System branch, or Community Drop Box.
- You may renew eligible items online, or by contacting the library.
- You may not renew an item if it is requested by someone else. Otherwise, eligible materials may be renewed up to three times.
- You may not renew interlibrary loan items. Interlibrary loan is a special service that allows us to borrow materials from other libraries. Please return these items by their due dates so that we may return them to the lending library on time.
As a courtesy, we will automatically renew eligible items up to three times. The automatic courtesy renewal occurs at the end of the day three days before the eligible item’s due date, adding an additional check-out term to the due date.
If your account is set up to receive email notifications, you will receive an email that lists the specific items that were automatically renewed, along with the new due date. If your account is not set up to receive email notifications, you will not be notified, but you will see the new due date when you access your account online. To set up email notifications or update your email address, please contact the library for assistance.
An item is not eligible for courtesy renewal if any of the following conditions are met:
- The item is an eBook or eAudiobook
- Another patron has requested the item
- The item has been borrowed from another institution via interlibrary loan
- Charges on your account are over $40
Lost and Damaged Materials
- Your account will be charged for replacement costs of items that are lost or damaged.
- When an item is 28 days overdue it will be considered lost, and your account will be charged.
- Borrowing privileges will be suspended when your account reaches a balance of $40.
- Visit Library Fees page for details.
- You may request items from our catalog and pick them up at the location of your choice.
- You may have up to 75 items requested at any given time.
- Holds that have not been picked up after 7 days will expire and be re-shelved. If you do not need an item that is being held for you, you may cancel it by contacting the library for assistance.
|New Books||3 weeks||yes||—|
|Books on CD||3 weeks||yes||—|
|Children’s DVDs||2 weeks||yes||—|
|Children’s CDs||3 weeks||yes||—|
|Preschool Theme Kits and|
Early Literacy Kits
|Happy Go Lucky||2 weeks||no||—|
|Book Club Kits||32 days**||no||3|
|Wi-Fi Hotspot||3 weeks||yes||1|
|Check Out Washington Backpack||2 weeks||yes||1|
** From scheduled pick-up day; no grace period on Book Club Kits
We also allow extended vacation loans; please contact the library for assistance.
Managing Your Account
- You can manage your account (place holds, renew items, pay fines, create reading lists, and more) through our online catalog.
- Want an alternative way to keep track of what’s due, overdue, or ready for pickup — not just for yourself but for your entire family? Check out Library Elf.
- Questions about your account? Please contact the library for assistance.