PLEASE NOTE: AARP Tax-Aide is no longer held at the Central Library
AARP Tax-Aide Services 2020 services offered at:
First Congregational Church of Bellingham
2401 Cornwall Avenue, Bellingham WA 98225
Map to First Congregational Church
Telephone with current information: (360) 474-7066 (please do not call the church)
UPDATE 3/11/2020: AARP TAX FILING ASSISTANCE SUSPENDED THROUGH MARCH 31, 2020.
Tax Filing Assistance 2020
First-come, first-served tax filing assistance offered by IRS-certified volunteers.
January 25–April 15, 2020
Monday-Thursday 3:30 to 6:30 p.m., doors open at 2:45 p.m.
Saturday 12:30 to 4:00 p.m., doors open at 11:45 a.m.
Special hours on April 15: 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. ONLY
IRS-certified tax preparation volunteers help people with their federal income tax returns through a program of the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Program. While this service was provided at the Central Library in the past, increasing demand and limited space caused the library and local AARP Foundation representatives to seek a larger location. Thank you to the First Congregational Church of Bellingham for serving this important community need by offering a larger, more comfortable location that provides increased privacy and free parking for taxpayers and volunteers.
Appointments? Assistance is on a first-come, first-served basis; appointments are not needed or available.
Parking: Free parking available in the church parking lot off Logan Street, as well as free on-street parking nearby.
Building access: Enter door from parking lot at back of church, off Logan Street.
Handicap accessible entrance: At front of church, at Morris Street and Cornwall Avenue.
Spanish translations: Available Saturdays.
Tax assistance limitations
- AARP Tax-Aide volunteers are certified by the IRS to prepare most tax returns.
- There is no limit on age or income to seek assistance and/or have your return prepared.
- Tax-Aide volunteers cannot prepare returns with rental income, farm income or small business returns with employees, depreciation or expenses over $25,000.
- Volunteers can advise of other less common restrictions.
Please bring the following:
- Proof of Social Security Number. Please note the following:
- Please bring a Social Security card (or copy) for each person on the return, or a Social Security Benefit Statement (Form SSA-1099);
- Those who had their 2017 or 2018 tax returns prepared by an AARP site may bring a copy of that return as proof of Social Security number;
- Previous returns not prepared by AARP, W-2 forms or other documents showing Social Security numbers cannot be used for proof.
- Picture ID for the taxpayer, and spouse if applicable.
- Completed Interview & Intake form (please fill out form on computer and then print):
- Married and filing jointly? Bring your spouse if practical.
- Last year’s tax return.
- All proofs of income and expenses.
- A sample check for a fast refund.
Additional local assistance with taxes can be found on the Whatcom Asset Building Coalition’s Taxes webpage