ALL IN for Climate Action Week, Sept. 20-26, 2021 is a celebration of the knowledge, progress, and resources our community has to offer when looking for solutions to address global climate change at the local level.
Join Bellingham Public Library by participating in ALL IN for Climate Action Week in a variety of ways.
1. Use the Library’s This World We Call Home book and materials list to find valuable reading and background resources in a variety of formats to further your education about climate change issues.
2. Reserve the Library’s newest Climate Action Book Club Kit, The Heartbeat of Trees by Peter Wohlleben. Author of The Hidden Life of Trees, in this new title Wohlleben discusses how, whether we acknowledge it or not, humans benefit from forests. He challenges readers to reflect on how we save ourselves by saving the woods. Book Club Kits include 10 copies with a reading guide to help facilitate discussion.
3. The Library’s Children’s department will participate in Climate Action Week with an interactive mural by Project We Beam located in the Children’s department lobby on the lower level of the Central branch. Youth are encouraged to read the mural and submit their own Climate Action ideas to receive a treasure. The Library’s Central branch will be open Mon – Tues 10 am – 6 pm and Wed – Sat 10 am – 3 pm. Face coverings are required for everyone over the age of 2 in all public spaces at the Library.
4. The Children’s department will also provide two fun, brain-building, virtual Storytimes with Climate Action themes for kids ages birth to 5 years during Climate Action Week. Each Storytime highlights the importance of the Five Early Literacy Practices of talking, singing, reading, writing and playing. Visit the Library’s Storytimes page to register, and receive a YouTube link via email.
5. Start reading All We Can Save: Truth, Courage, and Solutions for the Climate Crisis edited by Ayana Elizabeth Johnson and Katharine Wilkinson and participate in Sustainable Connections’ Climate Action Book Club online Thursday, Oct. 21, 8 – 9 am.
6. Find a full list of community-wide events at cob.org/climate-action-week. When combined together, our small actions create a big impact.