Community partners throughout Bellingham and Whatcom County – including the library – are unified in preparing for and addressing coronavirus (COVID-19). When it comes to protecting the public’s health, we are all in this together.
The Whatcom County Health Department is the lead response agency for all of Whatcom County, including Bellingham. Although this is a new virus, it’s not an unfamiliar challenge for public health officials. They prepare for and train to respond to public health threats like this one.
Bellingham Public Library is a department of the City of Bellingham. We are following city direction and Whatcom County Health Department recommendations as we respond to community and library operations needs during this outbreak.
A complete guide to library actions, local and state resources, and more, can be found on our Library Responds to Coronavirus (COVID-19) page.
For questions about Bellingham Public Library operations during this time, please contact Library Administration. For health guidance, please consult the public health agency resources listed on this page.
Facts about Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
The coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak is an ongoing worldwide outbreak of a highly contagious novel (new) coronavirus first identified in Wuhan, China, in December 2019 and has spread to other countries, including the U.S.
Health experts are concerned because little is known about this new virus, and because it has the potential to cause severe illness and pneumonia in some people. The outbreak is rapidly emerging and changing.
We recommend following the guidance provided by the these agencies, and checking back with them for current information about the status of this outbreak, more health suggestions, information in multiple languages, future announcements, and more:
- Washington State Department of Health
- Call center: For questions such as what is happening with coronavirus in Washington State, how it is spread, and what to do if you have symptoms. Call the hotline at 1 (800) 525-0127 and press #
- Website: www.doh.wa.gov/Coronavirus
- Whatcom County Health Department website (including fact sheets in Spanish, Russian, Chinese and Vietnamese): www.whatcomcounty.us/ncov
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control website: www.cdc.gov/coronavirus