This policy establishes additional rules of conduct relating to the COVID-19 pandemic. This policy is supplemental to the Library Rules of Conduct Policy (4.101) and applies to all visitors and to all facilities and properties of the Bellingham Public Library (BPL) until further notice. Parents or caregivers are responsible for the behavior of minor children in their charge. We are reopening our facilities with Additional Rules of Conduct to protect the health and safety of our visitors and staff. While we are taking reasonable precautions to promote and protect health and safety, we cannot guarantee an environment free from the risk of exposure or illness. Therefore, please note that every person who enters our facilities voluntarily assumes all risks related to exposure to COVID-19.
Bellingham Public Library has expanded its list of expected behavior to comply with directives, mandates, orders or other guidance from federal, state or local public health authorities.
The directives, mandates, orders and guidance for responding to COVID-19 will evolve as we move through this public health emergency. Therefore, our Rules of Conduct will be updated regularly to reflect current public health guidance.
Bellingham Public Library will clearly post behavior expectations, specific to the pandemic, at the entrance of every location as well as on our website. Visitors unable to comply with posted COVID-19 safety requirements may access services through remote or outdoor options.
1. Face coverings are no longer required
Face coverings are no longer a mandated requirement in public spaces.
Staff and members of the public are welcome to continue to wear masks in our spaces.
- Adult and child-sized masks are available for those who would like one
2. Public access to the library may be limited
While overall building occupancy is no longer reduced:
- Some areas of the facility and equipment may continue to be unavailable.
3. Services may be limited
Some Library services may be available only online, by phone or email.
4. Library staff and management are empowered to stop any activity which they consider harmful to the safety, well-being and security of patrons, staff or library operations.
- A visitor who does not comply with these rules will be notified that their behavior is inappropriate and unacceptable.
- If their behavior continues, they will be asked to leave the facility immediately.
- If the visitor does not leave when requested, law enforcement officials will be called and the visitor will be trespassed from the Library.
- A visitor’s library privileges may be limited or revoked for non-compliance with posted expectations.
- These rules will be enforced in a fair and reasonable manner.
These Additional Rules of Conduct will remain in effect until the Board, based on the guidance of federal, state, and local public health officials, revises or rescinds them.